Norwegian Christmas Song

This traditional song from Norway is a recording by Arve Moen Bergset. While still a well-known performer of traditional song and fiddle, Bergset was a famous boy soprano in his day. The lyrics mirror the pietism of Scandinavia with their focus on the heart.  I find these tunes so charming that I'm compelled for a moment to abandon my "a cappella only" stance.  

Mitt hjerte alltid vanker - English translation
My heart will always wander

To where our Lord was born,

My thoughts will always go there

And take on their true form.

My longing does belong there,

With the treasure of my faith;

I never shall forget you,

O blessed Christmas night!


I'll willingly spread branches

Of palms around your bed.

For you and you alone

I will gladly live and die.

Come, let my soul find joy

In this moment of delight:

To see you born right here,

Deep inside my loving heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lovely Singing from an Ancient Country